Ingrown facial hairs are painful and unsightly problem that a lot of men battle with everyday. We’ve get some simple tips to get rid of them and if you follow our advice you could possibly eradicate them forever.
What causes Ingrown Hairs?
Ingrown hairs are mainly caused by improper shaving techniques. An ingrown hair is a hair that curls back or grows sideways into the surface layer of skin, causing a red and raised bump.
Using a blunt razor or rushing your shaving routine will cause the skin to become irritated and in turn cause the hair to become sharp, piercing the skin which is how an ingrown hair is formed. Ingrown hairs can be caused naturally as well if there is a dead skin build up, that blocks the hair follicle causing the hair to grow sideways.
Tips on preventing ingrown hairs
* Cleansing the skin will not only help keep the skin clean of impurities but can also help prevent ingrown hairs. We recommend using Ultraceuticals Ultra Clear Cleansing Foam filled with vitamins and BHA’s (Salicylic acid which removes dead skin chemically). It’s key ingredient is Clove Flower Oil and that helps open the pores while softening the beard to prevent scraping and tugging of the hair. This product is also great to use as shaving foam.
* After shaving you want to apply a skin care product containing Salicylic acid. Salicylic acid exfoliates, moisturises and clears pores which will help prevent infection. We recommend Ultraceuticals Even Skintone Serum this product will not only kill bacteria but will also assist in refining large pores.
* Using a topical Vitamin A at night time will help to draw out the infection without causing trauma to the skin. We recommend Ultraceuticals Ultra A Perfecting Serum which also has ingredients which will help calm any irritation. (Please note that Vitamin A should not be used immediately after shaving).
* Having regular in salon treatments like Microdermabrasion will help gently exfoliate the dead skin cells and clear hair follicles allowing hair to surface. It’s best to have a course of treatments to not only effectively eliminate ingrown hairs but also clear and refine your pores.
* Do not shave against the direction or grain of the hair growth. You should shave in the direction of the hair growth in order to avoid getting ingrown hairs and razor burn.
* Avoid shaving too closely to the skin, use a sharp single blade razor. Don’t pull the skin and rinse the blade after each stroke.
* Hydrate and soften both the skin and the hair before shaving. This can result in a duller, rounded tip to the hair, which decreases the likelihood for hairs to re-enter the skin.
* DO NOT USE COLOGNE after shaving as it is Alcohol based and will leave the skin red and irritated which in most cases can cause stinging when applied.
*Use an SPF Sunscreen – this is the most important part of your skin care regime. We recommend using Ultraceuticals 2 in 1 mattifying SPF 30+ as it hydrates and protects but doesn’t leave your skin feeling greasy.
Long term you need to use the high quality Cosmeceutical Skin Care Products at home everyday and keep up regular in-salon microdermabrasions. Make sure your Cosmeceuticals are prescribed by a professional skin therapist.